Kim Maclean’s SAFETY TIPS
- Never leave your handbag under chairs or on tables when dining outdoors, make sure it is firmly secured, this includes your cell phone
- When tanning, ensure you are properly covered with Sun Screen, the South African Sun can be deceivingly dangerous, particularly on overcast days.
- When visiting an ATM, be vigilant and cautious, never give anybody your pin number, check around you, decoys are used, fainting tactics to distract you, your card can be swapped with out you realizing it.
- Keep to busy well lit streets at night
- Do not leave luggage unattended
- Limit the amount of cash you carry on you
- Never give your card to a waiter, ask them to bring the portable credit card machine to your table when dining out
- Keep your car locked and valuables locked out of sight in the boot, never leave a child, animal or adult locked in the car whilst on an errand.
- Tap water is save to drink
- South African Sun is harsh, use good sunscreen and wear a cap/hat
- Treat the sea and mountains with respect
- If hiking, ensure somebody is notified where you are going, wear good hiking shoes, hat, sun screen and always carry enough water with you
- Do not feed baboons or other wild life, and do not approach animals, as they are wild and if threatened will attack you
- Conserve water and recycle where possible
- Never throw away plastic bottles or Cigarette butts, as fires can start quickly
OTHER USEFUL INFORMATION
- Electricity supply: 220/230 volts AC 50 Hz
- Tipping is customary (10% is a rough guideline)
- Banking Hours: 9.00am to 15.30 Weekdays, 9.00am to 11.00am Saturdays, and Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays.
THINGS TO DO
Shark Cage diving, Whale Watching by Boat, Sea Kayak, Cave Tours, Canoeing, River Rafting, Fishing, River Cruises and Swimming
Land Based Activities:
Hiking and Walking, Horse riding, Quad Biking, Paint Ball, Canopy Tree Tours, Bird Watching, 4 x 4 trails, Sand boarding, Mountain Biking, Golf, Tractor Rides, Tours or Blue Flag Beaches, Shabeens, African Township tours, Stony Point Penguin Colony, Botanical Gardens, Nature Reserves.
Paragliding, and Whale Watching, Helicopter tours
Wine, Beer and Cheese tasting, Arts, Crafts and Antique Shopping, African Curios, Kapula Candle factory, Museums, Sight seeing and many other great tours.
Police: 028 313 8500
Ambulance and Fire: 10177 Land Line
Ambulance and Fire: 112 Cellular phone
Hermanus Hospital 028 313 0168
Hermanus Municipality 028 313 8000/8111
Fire Brigade: 028 312 8168
Telkom Directory enquiries 10212
Tourist Safety & Support Program 079 496 1981
Practical and emotional support for tourists in need, this is a guidance and support number if you have been in an incident or and accident.
International Dialing Code Numbers:
Dialing Overseas: 00 To call an overseas number, dial ‘00’ followed by the country code and the number you are calling.
For incoming calls to South Africa, ‘0027’ plus the country code, area code and number.